Adelaide claim fiery 3-2 win over Western Sydney

The Reds won 3-2 on the night, with Goodwin assisting Ben Warland’s second headed goal of the evening. Warland’s two goals came on either side of a Kusini Yengi equaliser for Western Sydney; Hiroshi Ibuski made it 3-1 before Wanderers captain Marcelo cut the margin to just one goal on the hour mark.

The night belonged to the Reds, who were helped on their way to victory by a Marcelo red card in second-half stoppage time as the visitors went 11 games unbeaten, moving to within one point of Melbourne City at the top of the table.

Goodwin is joined by only Aaron Mooy and Marco Rojas on the list of A-League Men players who have recorded double-digit figures in both goals and assists throughout the league’s history.

Wanderers boss Marko Rudan unloaded on referee Shaun Evans in the aftermath of the 3-2 loss, ruing the official’s decision to send the Wanderers captain after placing Adelaide wunderkind Nestory Irankunda in a headlock.

The Wanderers lost a golden opportunity to cut the gap at the top of the table; Rudan’s side conceded all three goals from corners via Warland’s double and Ibusuki’s tap-in.

But the biggest talking point from CommBank Stadium will be the fracas at the death which led to the Wanderers’ Brazilian skipper being sent off.

Marcelo, who along with Kusini Yengi scored for the Wanderers, placed Irankunda in a stranglehold after the 17-year-old shoved Western Sydney midfielder Calem Nieuwenhof after a cynical foul. 

As Irankunda remonstrated with Nieuwenhof and Morgan Schneiderlin, Marcelo came from behind and put the teenage sensation in a headlock.

The flashpoint triggered an all-in fracas.

Rudan was puzzled why Evans didn’t dismiss Irankunda and Adelaide defender Lachlan Barr, who “sprinted from 50 metres” to push Marcelo.

“It’s retaliation, does a player have to fall over in order for it to be a red card?” Rudan said.

“What Calem did, he did and he got a yellow card for it.

“But Irankunda shoves him twice, but because Calem holds his feet … nothing.

“That’s why Marcelo got involved because of the retaliation from Irankunda.

“Shaun doesn’t take control in that moment, and then the melee starts and that was the issue I’ve got.

“A stronger referee wouldn’t let that happen, we didn’t get consistency there today. 

“That’s what irks me is the lack of consistency with the officiating.”

The Wanderers had enjoyed the better of the play before Warland headed in his first of the night from a short corner.

Yengi hit back for the Wanderers just before halftime but Warland’s second and a well-taken goal from Ibusuki set Carl Veart’s men on course to extend their unbeaten run to 11 matches.

Marcelo pulled one back for the Wanderers but his night ended in disgrace after being dismissed for his involvement in the fracas. 

“They protected him (Irankunda),” Veart said. 

“We’re a solid team and we all back each other up. 

“We’re not even looking at City, we just want to keep going until the end of the season.”