IGA NPL NSW Mens 1 Round 18 Review


Blacktown City have now raced away with a three point gap thanks to their victory over Sydney Olympic as the Blacktown Spartans’ slip up to the South Coast Wolves.

Blacktown City have now raced away with a three point gap thanks to their victory over Sydney Olympic as the Blacktown Spartans’ slip up to the South Coast Wolves.

Rockdale City Suns 0-2 APIA Leichhardt Tigers, at Ilinden Sports Centre

On a day when APIA-Leichhardt Tigers needed a hero they found one in Brad McDonald who scored twice in four second half minutes to secure a 2-0 victory against Rockdale City Suns.

It was a result that provided a real boost to the Tigers’ flagging season especially after their hammering at the hands of Sydney Olympic last weekend. It also keeps them mathematically in the hunt for the top five although that may yet be a bridge too far.

For Rockdale it is a reversal that has dented their chances of catching up to the top three and instead put them in the clutches of those below them ahead of their tough trip to Blacktown City’s Lilys Football Centre this weekend.

Marconi Stallions 1-2 Bonnyrigg White Eagles, at Marconi Stadium

It took a 97th minute winner from the league’s most prolific scorer Robbie Younis that gave Brian Brown’s men the three valuable points away to the Marconi Stallions at Marconi Stadium on a chilly Saturday evening.

The visitors started off in style and won themselves a penalty in the 17th minute only for James Chronopoulos to save Younis’ spot-kick.

The second half provided more action and it was Jared Lum who notched up in the 53rd minute giving Paul Carter’s men the lead.

It wasn’t to last however as Younis struck in the 72nd before adding a spectacular second in the 97thminute to give the White Eagles the win as they kept their pursuit on the Premiership in third position.

Sydney Olympic 1-2 Blacktown City, at Belmore Sports Ground

Blacktown City FC retained its top spot on the ladder after defeating Sydney Olympic 2-1 on a chilly Sunday winter’s afternoon at Belmore Sports Ground.

Captain Travis Major and influential Japanese import Ryuji Miyazawa shocked Sydney Olympic midway through the first half before Harris Gaitatzis scored from a free kick in the 66th minute.

Sydney Olympic were left rueing a number of missed opportunities late in the match that could have earned them a draw in an entertaining match.

Sydney United 58 FC 2-1 St George FC, at Sydney United Sports Ground

Sydney United 58 returned to the winners circle after their 2-1 victory over St George FC with a workman-like performance at the Sydney United Football Centre on Sunday.

It was a much needed victory for Mark Rudan’s men as they sat slumped near the bottom of the ladder but it was a memorable first half hour as the Reds raced to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Mirjan Pavlovic and Ante Tomic.

The victory lifted Rudan’s men away from the dreaded wooden spoon which their counterparts currently occupy.

Sutherland Sharks 3-1 Manly United, at Seymour Shaw

It was a much needed victory for the Sutherland Sharks as they took all the three points in the Shire side’s 3-1 victory over Manly United at Seymour Shaw on Saturday evening.

The Sharks hit the lead in the 18th minute courtesy of an own goal via Manly’s Rhys Williams and that’s how the result stayed until the break.

Paul Dee’s men piled on pressure and it paid off handsomely as Tom Morrissey struck the equaliser in the 61st minute.

It was the Sharks however that finished off the strongest as goals from Lukas Stergiou and a late Nathan Elasi finish all but secured the three valuable points to Robbie Stanton’s men.

It was an emotional night for one Sharks player, defender Perry Moustakas, who played his final match for the club as he returned back to Cyprus where he will continue his football in the second division.

Blacktown Spartans 3-3 South Coast Wolves, at Blacktown Football Park

It was end to end action as the Blacktown Spartans and South Coast Wolves shared the points in a thrilling 3-3 draw at Blacktown Football Park on Sunday.

The home side raced to an early 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Luka Dukic and David Gullo before Ben De Haan’s men won themselves a penalty just before half time to put the game beyond the Wolves’ reach.

It was there the drama started to unfold as Phil Makrys’ spot kick was saved by Thomas Hamilton and the Wolves lifted up a gear in the second half.

Nahuel Arrarte’s men brought the game back to level terms as the introduction of Peter Simonoski was the difference – he scored in the 52nd minute before supplying Jordan Murray with an accurate cross in the 58thminute who headed home the visitors second.

The Spartans thought they’d nicked it in the 73rd minute when an unfortunate own goal via Wolves skipper Michael Robinson saw the home side in front but it wasn’t to be as Robinson redeemed himself in the 93rdminute with the equaliser to put a serious dent into the Spartans’ title aspirations.