IGA NPL NSW Mens 1 Round 9 Review


A last minute goal saw Blacktown Spartans maintain their eight point lead and their remarkable 100% record this season.

A last minute goal saw Blacktown Spartans maintain their eight point lead and their remarkable 100% record this season.

Blacktown City are their nearest rivals after their big win over Bonnyrigg while in the Match of the Round Sutherland Sharks drew 0-0 with Rockdale City Suns.


Sutherland Sharks 0-0 Rockdale City Suns, at Seymour Shaw Park

Sutherland hosted Rockdale City and it was a game characterised by a string of missed opportunities for both sides.

The two best chances fell the way of Nicholas Olsen for Sutherland and Idriss El Hafiane for Rockdale City. The first was early in the second half when Olsen blazed over after a superb though ball from Panny Nikas left him with only the keeper to beat.

The second came in stoppage time of the second half. El Hafiane had only Nathan Denham to beat but he too shot over the bar, squandering the opportunity.

Marconi Stallions 2-3 Blacktown Spartans, at Marconi Stadium

Talk about late drama.

Blacktown Spartans looked to be cruising to their ninth win from as many outings as they led two goals to nil heading into the final few minutes.

Greg Kondek and Corey Biczo’s second half goals looked to have done the business but there was so much more to come in this one.

Firstly Milorad Simonovic made it 2-1 in the 86th minute before the same player drew the scores level in stoppage time with a free kick.

It looked as if Spartans’ 100% record would come to an end but a spectacular 35 yard free kick from Luke Austin just 60 seconds later put the visitors ahead once more and saw them take all three points and keep their perfect record intact.

APIA-Leichhardt Tigers 1-1 Sydney United 58 FC, at Lambert Park

Two hotshot strikers scored their first goals for their respective clubs but it was honours even at Lambert Park.

APIA are still searching for their first win of the season but their performance gives cause for optimism.

Blake Powell’s first goal for the club put APIA ahead in the 70th minute but it took just a minute for United to draw level as Alec Urosevski, formerly of Rockdale City, drew the scores level.

United had the chance to win the match in stoppage time when they were awarded a penalty.

The usual reliable Luka Glavas was denied by firstly Andrew Bazi and secondly the post as the three points went begging.

St George 0-2 South Coast Wolves, at WIN Jubilee Stadium

South Coast Wolves, from being winless, have suddenly strung together consecutive wins.

On the back of their 6-1 trouncing of Manly United, Wolves had every reason to be cheerful and Nahuel Arrarte’s men took the lead early through a Chris Gomez own goal.

When Ben Zucco doubled their lead in the 22nd minute it looked too good to be true for Wolves.

St George threw the kitchen sink at Wolves, but came up with nought as the South Coast side clinched back-to-back victories.

Blacktown City 4-1 Bonnyrigg White Eagles, at Lilys Football Centre

This could be the result that signals Blacktown City as the nearest challengers to Spartans.

A superb performance from Mark Crittenden’s side saw them trounce Bonnyrigg 4-1 at home as the visitors unearthed former Sydney FC skipper Terry McFlynn.

Blacktown City blew the visitors away inside the opening minutes as Ryuji Miyazawa scored twice in the opening eight minutes before Travis Major made it 3-0 on 11 minutes.

When Major added his second in the 52nd minute Blacktown lead by the scarcely fathomable score line of 4-0 before Aaron Peterson pulled one back for Bonnyrigg but it was far too little and far too late for the visiting side.

Manly United 2-2 Sydney Olympic, at Cromer Park

Manly showed that they were back on track by competing well and drawing with the in-form Sydney Olympic at Cromer Park.

Scott Balderson, enjoying a fantastic season, gave Manly the lead in just the 5th minute. It was the sort of start Manly needed after their shocker in Wollongong last weekend.

Harris Gaitatzis’ good form continued though and he levelled the scores in the 20th minute.

Manly was brought down to earth when Olympic’s other major threat, Evan Kostopoulos, put Grant Lee’s side 2-1 up before the break.

Manly found a way back into the match when half-time substitute Jed Prater got them level in the 68th minute and as it were, the home side were good value for their share of the points.