NPL 1 Wrap: Late goals see Olympic defeat Wanderers

Two late goals from Sydney Olympic have consigned the Western Sydney Wanderers NPL side to a 3-1 defeat at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday evening.

After trailing for much of the game, Edmund Lupancu equalised in the 82nd minute, however strikes from Fabio Ferreira and Roy O’Donavan in stoppage time sunk the Wanderers.

The boys in Red and Black almost got off to the perfect start when Nicolas Milanovic’s header from a corner cannoned off the crossbar in the fourth minute.

The side would be ruthlessly punished for missing the opportunity as just one minute later Michael Vakis got on the end of a long clearance and finished well for the home side under pressure from Yannis Frerck and Lawrence Caruso.

Minutes later the Wanderers would hit the post once again from a header, this time through Nathaneal Blair, but the play was pulled back for a foul.

The Wanderers put Olympic under a sustained period of pressure midway through the first half with a succession of corners, but the opposition were able to scramble well and block multiple shots.

The side continued to push for a goal in the second half, and Mason Fernandez went close after the hour mark when he weaved his way into the box, but desperate Olympic defenders were able to thwart his effort.

Blair went close with another header from a good cross out wide, but his header looped agonisingly over the bar.

The Wanderers wouldn’t be denied eight minutes from time, when Blair headed the ball back towards the goal, and substitute Lupancu was on hand to sweep the ball into the bottom corner.

The joy would be short lived, though, as another long ball from Olympic gave Ferreira a chance on the edge of the box, and he powered a volley into the corner of the net leaving Caruso with no chance.

The points would be sealed for the home side in the second minute of stoppage time after Jarrod Carluccio fouled an Olympic attacker in the box, and O’Donavan converted the subsequent penalty.