No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Jun 10, 2018   |  11:48PM AET

NPL Wrap: Wanderers held by St George

NPL Wrap: Wanderers held by St George

The Western Sydney Wanderers NPL 2 team were held to a 2-2 draw by St George FC at Illiden Sports Centre on Saturday night.

The Red & Black went in front twice after goals from Samuel Silvera and Marley Peterson, but weren’t able to hold on as Hussein Akil netted a double for St George. 

The Wanderers had the first chance of the game after Fabian Monge found Oliver Pufflett in space on the edge of the penalty area, with Puflett’s effort going wide of the target.

A couple minutes later Wanderers goalkeeper Elliot Carwardine did well to parry a dangerous cross to safety. 

The Red & Black responded and Peterson was stopped just outside the penalty area after a clever run before Perry Fotakopoulos tested St George keeper Anthony Costa with a shot from distance. 

As the first half came to a close, Henry Davies made an important tackle inside his own six-yard box to keep St George at bay.

The Red & Black started the second half brightly and Puflett was unlucky to not get on the end of a dangerous cross from Mohamed Adam. 

Puflett was in the thick of the action and a minute later he was through on goal, forcing a good save from Costa.

Silvera came on for the Wanderers midway through the second half and made an immediate impact, opening the scoring with his first touch when his 25-yard free kick found the back of the net.

Seven minutes later, St George made it 1-1 with a goal from Hussein Akil.

Carwardine was needed to make another save off a deflected shot from Jordan Morfitis, before the Wanderers went back in front with three minutes left in normal time. 

Monge beat a defender on the right wing before squaring it off for Peterson, who blasted the ball past Costa for his second goal in two games. 

Unfortunately, St George would equalise for a second time with Akil finding the net again in the 91st minute. 

However, the action wasn’t over, and the Wanderers almost grabbed a winner in stoppage time when Silvera’s free-kick was tipped over the crossbar by Costa.

From the resulting corner kick, Puflett went even closer when his header rebounded off the post. 

The draw sees the Wanderers remain in sixth place. 

St George FC 2 (Hussein Akil 74’ 91’)
Western Sydney Wanderers 2 (Samuel Silvera 67’ Marley Peterson 87’)

Western Sydney Wanderers: Elliot Carwardine, Adrian Valenti (Mohamed Al Taay 85’), Solomon-Johnn Monahan-Vaiika, Henry Davies, Mathieu Cordier, Tacettin Kumsuz (Lochlan Constable 77’), Perry Fotakopoulos, Fabian Monge, Mohamed Adam (Samuel Silvera 66’), Oliver Puflett, Marley Peterson
Unused substitutes: Daniel Axford, Joshua Gulevski

Other results: 
U20: St George 1-3 WSW
U18: St George 2-0 WSW
U16: St George 2-0 WSW
U15: St George 0-3 WSW
U14: St George 0-5 WSW
U13: St George 0-1 WSW