NPL Wrap: Wanderers snatch three points off St George FA


The Red & Black’s NPL 2 first grade team got back to winning ways on Thursday night, defeating St George City FA at Valentine Sports Park.

The Red & Black’s NPL 2 first grade team got back to winning ways on Thursday night, defeating St George City FA at Valentine Sports Park.

First half strikes by Evan Tsakos and Wanderers captain Noah Pagden were enough to grab three points with St George City’s lone goal coming from Hiten Satoh. 

Tsakos looked lively from the opening whistle and on eight minutes he cut in from the left side, only to be denied by St George City’s goalkeeper Christopher Marques. 

The Wanderers next chance came when two of the club’s Young Socceroos combined midway through the first half. Fabian Monge made a nice run and found Lochlan Constable in space, but his 20-yard effort was saved by Marques. 

Constable who would be involved again just past the half hour as the Wanderers took the lead, playing in a fantastic pass for Tsakos who slotted the ball into the bottom corner. 


St George would draw level five minutes later with a free kick from Satoh, however, the Red & Black didn’t let their heads drop and were back in front almost immediately. At a Wanderers corner, the ball was laid off to Pagden on the edge of the area and he took a touch before blasting the ball home via the inside of the post.

On the stroke of halftime Constable and Tsakos combined again, but this time the shot was blocked by the defence.

Early in the second half, Bailey Rule fired wide from distance and Constable almost grabbed a goal of his own in the 58th minute with Marques clawing his 30-yard free kick away from the top corner. 

The Red & Black continued to dominate the game and Tsakos had two more chances to extend the lead, before Jarrod Carluccio hit the side netting from the edge of the area. 


Presley Oritz came on for the Red & Black in the final quarter of an hour. The young forward almost set up the third goal of the evening when he beat a defender and found Tsakos, but Marques was able to deny him once again. 

The Red & Black went even further six minutes from time as Carluccio linked with Rory Jordan and had a shot which was fumbled.


In the dying minutes, St George City won a succession of corners however the Wanderers held on to secure the victory.

The first grade side are set to finish their season on Sunday afternoon when they take on Mounties at Sydney United Sports Centre. Kick-of is at 3:00pm.

Western Sydney Wanderers 2 (Evan Tsakos 31’, Noah Pagden 38’)
St George City FA 1 (Hiten Satoh 36’)

Western Sydney Wanderers: Elliot Carwardine, Bailey Rule, Mohamed Al Taay, Noah Pagden (c), Adrian Valenti, Rory Jordan, Fabian Monge, Lochlan Constable (Dean Pelekanos 68’), Jarrod Carluccio (Yousef Sawalha 84’), Evan Tsakos, Jacob Vasiliou (Presley Ortiz 78’)
Unused substitutes: Jack Greenwood, Thomas McPherson

Other results:

U20: WSW 3-3 Northern Tigers
U18: WSW 2-2 Northern Tigers
U16: WSW 2-0 Hakoah
U15: WSW 3-0 Hakoah
U14: WSW 1-0 Hakoah
U13: WSW 3-0 Hakoah