PS4 NPL NSW Men’s 1 Round 3 Review


Now there are only two sides with perfect records, APIA-Leichhardt Tigers and Blacktown City.

APIA were altogether more convincing in their win over Marconi Stallions, but Blacktown City won’t care that they needed two late goals to beat Parramatta.
In the Match of the Round, the points were shared between Sydney Olympic and Bonnyrigg White Eagles.
Marconi Stallions 2-5 APIA Leichhardt Tigers, at Marconi Stadium
APIA can’t stop scoring and this was another result that confirmed their desire to be at the pointy end of the season.
For Marconi though, it could be a long slog in 2015. They did take the lead in this one, a 35 yarder from Milorad Simonovic caught APIA keeper Andrew Bazi napping as it looped over his head and into the back of the net.
The goal sparked APIA into life and they equalised through a beautifully taken scissor kick by Nick Olsen, after a driving run and cross down the left by the evergreen Franco Parisi. A penalty to Blake Powell saw the Tigers take a 2-1 lead into the break.
Adam Griffiths scrambled home the third, before a wonder strike by Powell made it 4-1. Olsen added a second with a beautiful flick header, and then Jared Lum added a late consolation for the Stallions in stoppage time. 
Sutherland Sharks 2-2 South Coast Wolves, at Seymour Shaw Park
The scoreline suggests Wolves blew a two goal lead to Sutherland, and indeed they did, but that is only half the story.
Wolves could have been five clear at the break, but it was only two, with goals from Peter Simonoski and Jordan Murray.
Sutherland rallied in the second half though, showing the spirit sorely missing from the first. Sean O’Connell and Bai Antoniou found the back of the net to complete the comeback.
Blacktown Spartans 2-4 Sydney United 58 FC, at Blacktown Football Park
Spartans let this one get away. From 2-1 up, the home side contrived to ship three without reply, as Sydney United 58 FC came from behind to finish well in front.
Futa Nakamura opened the scoring for Spartans, but Robbie Mileski equalised within 60 seconds to cut short Spartans’ celebrations. 
Shu Sasaki put Spartans back ahead, but from there they let the game slip.
Ante Tomic equalised straight after half time, before Stjepan Paric made it 3-2. A stoppage time goal to Theo Kofinas rounded out the scoring and sent United home clear winners.
Sydney Olympic 2-2 Bonnyrigg White Eagles, at Belmore Sports Ground
First met second in the Match of the Round and with neither side having conceded a goal, it was sure to be a tight encounter.
That it was, although it shouldn’t have been. Olympic were the dominant force but their profligacy in front of goal meant they let Bonnyrigg back into the game.
Olympic led 2-0, with Dimitri Hatzimouratis and the superb Go Shirai beating Bonnyrigg keeper James Chronopoulos.
But Bonnyrigg rallied and late goals to Reece Caira and Yuta Kokado snared Olympic a share of the points.
Blacktown City 3-1 Parramatta FC, at Lilys Football Centre
Blacktown City did the business, but they needed a late double from half time substitute Patrick Antelmi to get them over the line. 
Frank Martey gave Parramatta a shock lead early in the game, but his goal was cancelled out by a sizzling strike by Blacktown City midfielder Sasa Macura. 
Antelmi replaced Christos Tomaras at half time and it was in the final ten minutes that his presence was most keenly felt, as he struck in the 82nd and 90th minutes to steal all three points for the home side.
Manly United 0-0 Rockdale City Suns, at Cromer Park
Manly United came away from this wondering how they didn’t take all three points from this one against a desperately poor Rockdale City Suns.
The Suns defence has leaked goals readily this season but a strong performance from goalkeeper David Bradasevic and some wastefulness in front of goal from Manly saw them keep a clean sheet.
Manly were by far the better team, but they just couldn’t seal the deal, much to coach Paul Dee’s frustration. 

Image Credit: Football NSW