Sky Blues shock Wanderers in Sydney derby

Despite a dominating performance against their fierce rivals, NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers fell to Sydney FC 3-1

Despite a dominating performance against their fierce rivals, NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers fell to Sydney FC 3-1

Watched by a sell-out crowd of more than 40,000 fans at Allianz Stadium, the Red and Black took a deserved lead via a Shinji Ono goal early in the second half before all the drama started.

Janjetovic produced a diving save to keep out Mark Bridge’s spot-kick just two minutes later in a pivotal moment as Sydney staged their fightback.

Defender Matthew Jurman scored his first goal for the club to bring the side’s level soon after before Richard Garcia grabbed the second 15 minutes from time after an errant pass by Wanderers skipper Michael Beauchamp.

Ali Abbas added a third from the penalty spot in stoppage time as Sydney secured their first derby win in five attempts and first ever on their home turf.

Given the occasion and what was at stake for both sides it was a tense first half but comfortably controlled by the visitors.

Neither goal-keeper was seriously overworked although Wanderers had the best of it with Brendon Santalabr.

The Wanderers built their ascendancy as the half wore on with their best chance coming 11 minutes before the break when Youssouf Hersi found some space in the Sky Blues’ half.

The pacy winger unleashed a dipping shot from 30-metres out which was headed for the top corner only for a spectacular diving save from Janjetovic.

While that was a brilliant stop there was nothing the Sydney ‘keeper could do to keep out Ono just after the break.

The Sky Blues defence failed to deal with Bridge’s cross from the left under pressure from Brendan Santalab, with the Japanese veteran on hand to volley home from close range.

Ono’s strike brought the game to life and less than two minutes later the Wanderers should have doubled their lead, only for Janjetovic to deny Bridge from the spot after Garcia clumsily brought down Hersi.

At that point in the match Sydney FC didn-t have a chance to speak of but that was about to change.

Nikola Petkovic swung in a free-kick from the left enabling Jurman to head home at the far post.

The Sky Blues grabbed the lead 15 minutes from the end.

There appeared no danger as Covic played a free-kick to Beauchamp just outside his own box, with the defender playing a pass straight into the path of Garcia who had the simple task of passing into an empty net.

Abbas applied the finishing touches for Sydney at the death, converting from the spot after Jerome Polenz was pinged for a handball.

Sydney FC 3 (Jurman 59, Garcia 75, Abbas 90+3)

Western Sydney Wanderers 1 (Ono 49)

Crowd: 40,285 @ Allianz Stadium