Sydney Derby ends all square


The Wanderers fell just short of a clean sweep in the Sydney Derby but they have produced yet another quality performance against the defending champions in a 1-1 draw at Bankwest Stadium tonight.

Chasing a historic third win in a season against their arch-rivals, the Red & Black showed huge commitment and determination to come back from a goal down to earn a share of the points.

The result means the Wanderers have taken seven points from a possible nine against Sydney, but, with a bit of luck they could have ended up with the full complement.

Certainly, they were clearly the better side, especially during a dominant second half in which Sydney were reduced to bit-part players as the home side relentlessly pressed forward at every opportunity.

Sydney had taken the lead 10 minutes before half time through Adam le Fondre, but the Wanderers did not deserve to be behind.

They came out full of running in the second half and it looked like it wasn’t going to be their night until a touch of fortune saw Kwame Yeboah equalise in the 82nd minute after he deflected the ball into the net off a Simon Cox shot.

It was probably a lucky goal but nothing less than what the Red & Black deserved given their domination.

Interim head coach Jean-Paul de Marigny made four changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Melbourne City last week.

Patrick Ziegler and Daniel Georgievski returned from suspension to replace Tass Mourdoukoutas and Jarrod Carluccio while Kwame Yeboah and Keanu Baccus returned from injuries to replace the injured Nikolai Muller and suspended Pirmin Schwegler.

Despite all the changes, it was the Wanderers who controlled last parts of the first half as they put Sydney under constant pressure, especially in the opening 15 minors or so.

They did not allow the visitors any space or time of the ball and continually forced turnovers.

The Red & Black were finding space down both flanks with Georgievski and Tate Russell often get in behind the defence.

It was Baccus who had the first real chance, driving forward and unleashing a shot that sailed over the bar on 10 minutes.

There was some terrific build-up that saw Yeboah try his luck from just outside the box but the ball took a deflection for a corner.

Jordan O’Doherty tried his luck from a free kick from about 20 metres. He curled the ball around the wall but did not get enough power or direction and it landed in the arms of the goalkeeper.

Unfortunately, Sydney took the lead on 35 minutes, taking advantage of one of their few chances in the half with Le Fondre forcing the ball home after Daniel Lopar could only push a shot into his path.