Wanderers’ and Bentleigh’s journey to the Round of 16


We take a look at both the Western Sydney Wanderers’ and Bentleigh Greens’ path to the Westfield FFA Cup Round of 16 ahead of the two teams taking the field on Tuesday 29 August.

The home side, Bentleigh Greens, journey in the Westfield FFA Cup began in Round 4 where they defeated Dandenong Thunder 2-0. 

Rounds 5 and 6 saw Bentleigh assert themselves as key contenders in the competition, scoring six goals in both their matches against Richmond and Morwell Pegasus.

The next round was a crucial match for the Greens and a win would secure their hopes of qualifying for the Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32. 


Bentleigh Greens

A trio of goals by Troy Ruthven, Matt Thurtell, and Andy Brennan canceled out the two goals scored by Green Gully in Round 7 and consequently secured their place in the Round of 32. 

The early stages of Bentleigh’s Cup campaign saw a number of players shine including Brennan and Thurtell who scored eleven goals between themselves. 

Bentleigh’s smooth sailing in the Cup didn’t continue in their Round of 32 clash.

A tough fixture against Hume City saw them stuck in a deadlock with the match turning to extra time and penalties. 

Bentleigh were clinical from the spot and secured a penalty shoot-out win over Hume City and now move on to face the Western Sydney Wanderers in the Round of 16.



The Wanderers, however, automatically progressed into the Round of 32 and drew fellow Hyundai A-League side Wellington Phoenix.

Despite Wellington being drawn as the home club, Westfield FFA Cup regulations state that the host club must be from Australia so the clubs headed to Campbelltown Stadium for the fixture. 

Like Bentleigh, the clash also turned to extra time with neither one of the teams able to break the 0-0 stalemate.



With just seconds remaining until the teams headed to a penalty shootout, the Wanderers’ new number 9, Oriol Riera popped up at the back post to mark his official debut with a match-winning goal. 

Oriol Riera’s 120th-minute header gave the Red & Black a 1-0 extra-time win against Wellington Phoenix at Campbelltown Stadium and progressed them to the FFA Cup’s Round of 16.