Wanderers dominate but forced to settle for a draw


It was another night of frustration for the Wanderers after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Western United in their Hyundai A-League Round 11 game at Bankwest Stadium tonight.

The Red & Black looked on their way to ending a tough five weeks when Patrick Ziegler headed home to put the home side in front with just 11 minutes to go.

But disaster struck when the Victorians levelled up through Aaron Calver with just three minutes left in the game.

This was a tough result for the Wanderers to take as they had dominated 95 per cent of the game.

They enjoyed large chunks of possession and attacked relentlessly while Western were content to sit back and try and hit on the counter.

Western Sydney had a myriad chances, especially in the second half when they laid siege on the visitor’s defence only to fall short in the final third of the field.

Despite dominating the first 45 minutes, the Wanderers had to be content with a 0-0 scoreline at half-time.

They certainly looked the better side as they looked to force the game.

Still, it was the Victorians who had the first chance of the game after a nice move down the left side that ended with Kone’s shot from just eight metres being superbly saved by Daniel Lopar, who was back in the side after missing last week through illness.

But, after that it was all the Wanderers.

Nicolai Muller was looking sharp and he caused some havoc in the visitor’s defence before his shot was blocked for a corner.

Just two minutes later Keanu Baccus got a header to a corner from the right but unfortunately hit it straight at the goalkeeper.

A minute later Alex Meier, restored to the starting line-up after being on the bench for several games, had a great chance from a cross from Tate Russell but his glancing header went wide.

The Wanderers looked dangerous whenever they moved the ball to the flanks and captain Mitchell Duke almost set up Baccus in the box but the midfielder’s effort went well over the bar.

Defensively, the Wanderers back four were doing a good job containing the likes of Berisha and Diamanti.

The second half was much the same as the first with the Wanderers going forward as often as they could and looking to break down the resolute Western United defence.

The Wanderers were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the box in the 61st minute, but Meier’s well struck effort was well saved by Kurto.

Muller produced a moment of pure class on 71 minutes when he chested down a clearance then fired a first time volley That skimmed past the left post with Kurto well and truly beaten.

The chances were coming thick and fast and it was Meier’s turn next on 74 minutes when his header from a corner was cleared off the line.

But, the Wanderer’s were finally rewarded for their endeavours when they took the lead with 12 minutes to go.

Muller’s corner from the left was headed on by Baccus and Ziegler pounced at the far post to send a header screaming into the back of the net.