Wanderers fall in Sydney Derby


The Western Sydney Wanderers’ three-game unbeaten run has come to a halt after a 2-1 defeat to Sydney FC in the Westfield W-League at Popondetta Park on Friday night.

After the Wanderers had taken the lead through Katie Stengel, the Sky Blues clawed their way back to earn the three points thanks to a free-kick from Alanna Kennedy and a Kyah Simon penalty. 

The game began at a high-tempo as both teams looked to push forward with pace and numbers.

Paige Nielsen and Caitlin Foord traded early shots from distance, before the latter had the ball in the back of the net, only for it to be correctly ruled offside.


The Wanderers’ Katie Stengel was using her physicality well up top, doing a fine job of bringing her teammates into the game.

And it was Stengel, fresh from her match-winning brace last week, who would break the deadlock, poking home a loose ball in the box to give the Red & Black a 1-0 lead.

The Wanderers were playing full of confidence and could have well had a second but Sarah Yatim’s effort from the edge of the box cannoned off the crossbar to safety.

However it was the Sky Blues who would find the next goal.

After Caitlin Food was brought down on the edge of the box, Alanna Kennedy stepped up to curl a beautiful free-kick around the wall for the equaliser.


The Wanderers nearly found a swift reply but a Kendall Fletcher rocket was spectacularly saved by Sham Khamis, as the sides entered the break all square.

Khamis was called into action again shortly after the restart, producing a brilliant reflex save to prevent Georgia Yeoman-Dale from diverting the ball into her own net.

Sydney FC would then have two great chances to take the lead but Kyah Simon and Foord couldn’t find the target with their efforts.


The away side were slowly wrestling control of the match as Leena Khamis nearly found an opening, only to blast her shot into the side netting.

The pressure would soon tell, as a Wanderers handball in the box gave Kyah Simon a chance from the spot; the Sky Blue skipper making no mistake, blasting home to give her side the 2-1 advantage.

It would prove to be the match-winner, as the away side held on to record their sixth win of the campaign.