Wanderers Win in the West


The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today defeated Perth Glory 1-nil at nib Stadium in Perth.

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today defeated Perth Glory 1-nil at nib Stadium in Perth.

In what was a tough contest the visitors scored the one and only goal in the 16th minute through Italia

Iacopo La Rocca. The Wanderers were reduced to 10-men in the 38th minute with Dutchman Youssouf Hersi being sent from the field after retaliating after a vicious challenge.

Coach Tony Popovic was extremely proud of the side today and said it was definitely one that the club would savour.

“I-m extremely proud of the boys, it was a phenomenal performance,” Popovic said. “To do it with 10 men and it was a brilliant performance of which I-m extremely proud.”

When asked about the decision to send Hersi from the pitch, Popovic was quick to give his point of view.

“He has retaliated and if you go by the rule book it-s probably a red but I though the officiating overall was poor this afternoon.

“Today our defence was sound, I think everyone does a lot of work on overloads (in defence) but today was definitely a challenge for our guys under a lot of pressure.”

Coach Popovic made a number of changes to his starting 11 with Captain Michael Beauchamp returning from illness and Croatian Dino Kresinger returning to the starting side, replacing Joey Gibbs who was relegated to the substitute bench. Local junior Jason Trifiro was given his first starting chance in the place of the injured Mateo Poljak whilst Japanese recruit Shinji Ono was named on the substitute bench with Italian Iacopo La Rocca holding his spot after a promising performance last week in defence.

The opening 10 minutes were spent with both sides looking to find their feet and get control of the match. It was in the 11th minute when forward Mark Bridge found himself in open space and after a couple of touches shaped to shoot and pushed it well over the bar.

Just five minutes later the opening goal was scored and it was through the Wanderers Italian import La Rocca. The Wanderers earned their first corner of the match which was taken by Trifiro and it was pushed over the back by of the cluttered box where Aaron Mooy was able to regather. The Carlingford junior was then able to send a cross in off his right boot and La Rocca climbed above the pack getting his head to the ball and sending it crashing into the net putting the travelling Wanderers in front 1-nil.

After successfully setting up the opening goal, Mooy then received the first booking of the match.

The next period of 10 minutes was controlled by the home side with a couple of opportunities but goal keeper Ante Covic had their measure on each occasion.

A match changing decision occurred in the 38th minute with Dutchman Youssouf Hersi being sent from the field after lashing out with his boot on Scott Jamieson. It was Jamieson who performed the initial foul after Hersi controlled the ball he came down on Hersi-s achilles which brought him to ground. As Jamieson stood over the import, he threw his foot out that struck the Glory players leg. Referee Kris Griffiths-Jones took his time to make a decision but it ended with Hersi leaving the pitch after receiving a straight red card. Jamieson also received a yellow card of his own after the challenge.

A very physical final 10 minutes saw the red and blacks defend well and hold on to their 1-nil lead with
Coach Popovic looking forward to the chance to address his troops.

After being reduced to 10 men Coach Popovic chose to make his first substitution with Shannon Cole coming on replacing Jason Trifiro at the half-time break.

The Glory were dominating proceedings in the second half with at one stage a stat revealing that they had eight shots on target to the Wanderers, one. Their best chance came in the 57th minute off the boot of Steven McGarry who struck the ball firmly and it hit the left upright before eventually heading out for a corner to the Glory.

This opened up a period where the home side continued to dominate possession with a number of strikes on target and the visitors continued to defend strongly and hold them out.

Popovic made his second substitution with the goal scorer La Rocca being replaced by Joey Gibbs.
With just under 10 minutes remaining Ono was brought on to the field replacing Kresinger which saw a reshuffle.

With four minutes of additional time added on it was again McGarry who struck the ball and it again hit the woodwork that denied the home side an equaliser.

The final 20 minutes were spent with the Wanderers constantly defending and clearing the ball away from within their own area and it was a performance this afternoon that a club is built around and it is a sign of things to come from this brilliant club.

Glory 0 were defeated by Wanderers 1 (La Rocca 16-)

At: nib Stadium, Perth