WWL | Wanderers almost do unthinkable


Western Sydney Wanderers almost pulled off the greatest comeback in Westfield W-League history when three late goals saw them fall 4-3 to Sydney FC.

Western Sydney Wanderers almost pulled off the greatest comeback in Westfield W-League history when three late goals saw them fall 4-3 to Sydney FC.

While the match itself was a very even affair, a lack of concentration at the start of each half had the Wander Women undeservedly down by four goals at the hour mark only for the Red and Black to display remarkable resilience with three late strikes leaving them narrowly short of a famous result.

Having had the opening chance of the match, the Wanderers were quickly down two goals due to a calm Sam Kerr finish and an unfortunate own goal.

Putting the tough start behind them the Wanderers regrouped and the match turned into a real contest and soon after the team mounted their first serious attempt on goal with the ever-dangerous Catherine Cannuli narrowly clearing the crossbar with her long-range effort.

Midfielder Emily van Egmond saw her goal chalked off in what appeared a controversial adjudication while skipper Heather Garriock also came close as the Red and Black finished the half strongly.

With motivation high going into the break, the outlook quickly turned sour when a minute into the second half a penalty was awarded to Sydney FC that was converted by Jodie Taylor.

Quickly after Nicola Bolger made it four goals and the match looked over for the Red and Black.

Not renowned for giving-up, the Wanderers continued to create openings despite a seemingly lost cause and got their reward ten minutes later. Substitute Michelle Carney nailed her second goal in as many matches with a smart header after getting on the end of Shawna Gordon cross.

The Wanderers, inspired by the goal, suddenly found their mojo in midfield and netted twice within a matter of minutes to set up a grandstand finish.

Firstly, Garriock neatly converted from ten yards at the back post after another great assist from Gordon.

The best, however, was left to last as Cannuli finished a stunning move at the back post following some incisive play from substitutes Helen Petinos and Carney.

With nine minutes remaining the Wanderers created two more half chances but were unable to even the ledger. When the full time whistle blew, while disappointed with the result the team knew left the pitch galvanised and highly anticipating this Sunday-s clash with Melbourne Victory.

Sydney FC 4 (Sam Kerr 5′, Teigen Allen O.G. 7′, Jodie Taylor 47′, Nicola Bolger 58′)
Western Sydney Wanderers 3 (Michelle Carney 70′, Heather Garriock 78′, Catherine Cannuli 81′)

Sydney FC: Sham KHAMIS (gk), Teresa POLIAS, Alesha CLIFFORD, Leena KHAMIS, Nicola BOLGER (Trudy CAMILLERI 70′), Amy HARRISON, Renee ROLLASON (Danielle BROGAN 63′), Jodie TAYLOR, Emma KETE, Chloe LOGARZO, Sam KERR (Caitlin FOORD 80′)

Substitutes – Casey DUMONT (gk)

Cautions – Leena Khamis 87′, Jodie Taylor 90′

Western Sydney Wanderers: Mackenzie ARNOLD (gk), Caitlin COOPER, Shawna GORDON, Emily VAN EGMOND, Heather GARRIOCK, Catherine CANNULI, Teigen ALLEN (Helen PETINOS 77′), Alanna KENNEDY, Linda O’NEILL (Michelle CARNEY 57′), Rachael SOUTAR, Servet UZUNLAR (Jess SEAMAN 50′)

Substitutes – Dimi POULOS (gk)

Cautions – Heather Garriock 32′, Caitlin Cooper 88′

Image Credit: Peter McAlpine