Match Report: Wanderers Run Roughshod Over Sydney


The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers secured the second instalment of the Sydney Derby by totally dominating their cross-city rivals in a spectacular display at Allianz Stadium.

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers secured the second instalment of the Sydney Derby by totally dominating their cross-city rivals in a spectacular display at Allianz Stadium.

The Wanderers scored in the first and second halves to beat Sydney FC 2-0. The goal tally could easily have been triple that total if they had converted all of their gilt-edged chances.

Coach Tony Popovic said it was the Wanderers- best performance of their short history and it was one of the sweetest victories of his career.

“It was a great performance from everyone,” Popovic said.

“Derbies are always special and I am very happy for our club and the special bunch of fans that we have. We squared the ledger and we look forward to the next instalment of the Derby.

“This was sweet. It was special and I enjoyed it.”

Sydney FC won the first ever Derby 1-0 at Parramatta Stadium in round three. This time the Wanderers humbled their rivals in front of one of the loudest and most colourful football crowds seen in Sydney (26,176).

The Wanderers- supporters turned up in their thousands and they had plenty to sing about.
“It shows how much we have improved as a club from round three to now and we are certainly on the right track,” Popovic said.

“There will be ups and downs but it was pleasing tonight.

“It was pleasing that the players didn-t think about holding on to the lead and looking at the clock and there was a lot of positive play in the second half.

“If we were looking at five goals it would not have been a false result.”

Sydney flew out of the blocks and pressed the Wanderers early with several wide raids through Brett Emerton but they were unable to produce any meaningful chances.

Wanderers striker Joey Gibbs combined well with midfield general Shinji Ono to trouble Sydney FC around the 12 minute mark with a solid strike.

Wanderers winger Youssef Hersi had several tangles with Fabio and Yairo Yau throughout the night and one of the first scraps in the 12th minute resulted in Hersi receiving a yellow card.

Wanderers midfielder Iacopo La Rocca made two incisive runs up the middle, one in the 15th minute and the other in the 19th, and they both ended with powerful shots. The first was only 1m wide of goal and the second was saved by keeper Vedran Janjetovic.

Wanderers- dominance was franked by Hersi in the 23rd when he accepted a cross headed towards him in the box by Joey Gibbs or Sebastian Ryall. The Dutchman trapped the ball, turned and fired a blistering shot into the back of the net.

Ono should have added another two goals with some superb footwork and shooting, only to see his efforts drift wide or over the goal. Sydney FC was on the back foot throughout the half and did not have a single significant chance.

The second half continued where the first left off with the Wanderers totally dominating in midfield and pressing Sydney at every turn. Chances came and went from Hersi, Ono and Gibbs.

Aaron Mooy came on for La Rocco in the 64th minute and Tahj Minniecon on for Hersi in the 72nd.
Sydney introduced injured superstar Alessandro De Piero to a rousing applause in the 69th minute and he immediately caused a tangle with Mooy. Del Piero contributed little in the one-way Wanderers traffic.

However, a 76-minute corner by Ono made its way back to the Japanese legend and his second cross found his captain Michael Beauchamp on the far post. Beauchamp snapped a powerful shot from close range for the second goal.

Minniecon had two golden chances late with both saved by Janjetovic. By this stage the Wanderers were running rampant.

The Wanderers next play Adelaide United FC at Parramatta Stadium on Friday, December 21 at 7pm.