Resurgent Wanderers make it two from two in the Sydney Derby


The Western Sydney Wanderers resurgence continued after they handed Sydney FC a second defeat in the Sydney Derby at a sell out Jubilee Stadium tonight.

Captain Mitchell Duke provided the killer blow, getting on the end of a superb cross from substitute Tate Russell to head home what proved to be the winner with just eight minutes left.

It was the second time this season the Red & Black have handed the defending champions a defeat this season following their 1-0 win in a round three clash at Bankwest Stadium.

The Wanderers are now unbeaten in their past four games since interim coach Jean-Paul de Marigny took charge a little over five weeks ago. They have now taken 10 points from a possible 12.

The Wanderers finished the game with 10 men after Daniel Georgievski was sent off with just minutes left.

This was one of the greatest performances from the Red & Black, who went into the game huge underdogs. 

The Wanderers produced a terrific first half effort, more than matching the competition leaders in every department.

Wanderers striker Simon Cox had the first real chance of the game, but his curling effort on four minutes went straight into the arms of Sydney goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne.

Defensively, the Red & Black stood tall, repelling everything the home side could throw at them.

The Wanderers had a good period in the opening 20 minutes with Mitchell Duke taking advantage of some good build up play before putting his effort high and wide.

Duke had another effort from the edge of the box go wide nine minutes later as the Wanderers showed they were up for this Derby.

In all honesty, the Wanderers looked more likely to score as they showed huge confidence in going forward as they put the home side under pressure,

When Sydney pressed forward the Wanderers defence and goalkeeper Daniel Lopar were on their game as they repelled anything the home side could throw at them.

Daniel Georgievski caused Redmayne some issues when he put in a shot that the goalkeeper gathered though it appeared the ball might have crossed the line as Redmayne collected it, however, the VAR did not opt to review it.

Not long after. Nicolai Muller unleashed an effort that smashed against the cross bar before Duke got on then end of a Muller cross, only to put his header wide.

Muller was in outstanding form and clearly the player of the game in the opening 45 minutes.

Typical of the effort from the Red & Black was Matthew Jurman’s chase of Alex Baumjohann early in the first half, chasing down the German for 45 metres and dispossessing him.

The home side ramped up the pressure in the second half but the Red & Black defence held strong, showing huge desire and determination.

While the soaked up the pressure, they were still dangerous in attack and had had a great period with Cox having an effort blocked then substitute Jordan O’Doherty having an effort turned away by Redmayne.

Muller, who was causing problems, then had an effort saved by Redmayne as the Red & Black pressed forward in search of a goal.

The Red & Black stunned the home crowd and were rewarded for their industrious efforts when Duke headed in from a Tate Russell cross to make it 1-0 in the 82nd minute.