IGA NPL NSW Mens 1 Round 7 Review


It was another superb weekend of football in Round Seven of the National Premier Leagues IGA NSW Mens 1 competition.

It was another superb weekend of football in Round Seven of the National Premier Leagues IGA NSW Mens 1 competition.

Blacktown Spartans have opened up a mammoth eight point gap at the top of the table having accrued 21 points with their seven wins. Behind them there is a logjam with Blacktown City, Sutherland Sharks and Sydney Olympic all on 13 points.

Blacktown City 0-1 Sydney Olympic, at Lilys Football Centre

It wasn’t a classic, that much is certain.

But there was enough to suggest that Sydney Olympic have made big strides under Grant Lee and that they are well and truly equipped enough to make an impact in this season’s competition.

Blacktown, while not at their best, also have that capability even if they didn’t show it on this particular day.

Harris Gaitatzis scored the only goal of the match from the penalty spot after Giorgio Speranza gave away a penalty when he fouled the lively Evan Kostopoulos.

A late flurry from Blacktown City couldn’t find them an equaliser and it ended 1-0 to the visiting side.

APIA-Leichhardt Tigers 0-0 Rockdale City Suns, at Lambert Park

APIA are still searching for their first win of the season and they couldn’t get it against Rockdale despite playing 73 minutes of the match against ten men.

Rockdale keeper Tomislav Arcaba was sent off in the first half leaving sub goalkeeper David Bradasevic to come on and play out the remainder of the game.

He kept a clean sheet as APIA were unable to even find a goal despite lengthy period in possession.

It has been the story of their season so far but with Blake Powell on board that may change.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 4-0 Marconi Stallions, at Bonnyrigg Sports Centre

Bonnyrigg was at their ruthless best dispatching a poor Stallions side 4-0 on Saturday night.

Not many players love penalties more than Robbie Younis and he made no mistake when he had the chance from the spot, opening the scoring.

The clinical Younis added three more to take his and Bonnyrigg’s tally to four for the night as Marconi fell apart as they searched for answers.

Manly United 0-4 Sutherland Sharks, at Cromer Park

Sutherland blew Manly away in the space of a few second half minutes at Cromer Park.

Manly competed well in the first half and asked some questions of Sutherland through Chris Payne and Brendan Cholakian, the latter forcing Nathan Denham into a fantastic save.

They couldn’t go the distance though.

Nick Littler opened the scoring just after the half time interval and from there the floodgates opened.

Panny Nikas added a double and Nathan Elasi rounded out the scoring as Sutherland blew Manly away.

South Coast Wolves 0-3 Blacktown Spartans, at WIN Stadium

South Coast Wolves were always going to face an uphill battle against the league leaders.

They competed well but blew it in the space of 120 seconds and from there they had little chance of recovery.

David Gullo opened the scoring in the 27th minute and then Corey Biczo double their lead two minutes later.

South Coast battled hard, but a late goal from Zach Freeburn put the result beyond doubt.

St George 0-0 Sydney United 58, at WIN Jubilee Stadium

Neither St George nor Sydney United 58 could get the better of the wet and blustery conditions in Carlton.

The newly promoted St George held the Premiers Sydney United 58 to a nil-all draw as United’s mixed start to the season continued.

In fairness, conditions made it difficult for both sides to make an impression on the match.