IGA NPL NSW Mens 1 Round 8 Review


What a weekend Round 8 was with 37 goals in the six matches; an average of just over six a game.

What a weekend Round 8 was with 37 goals in the six matches; an average of just over six a game.

In fact two teams scored six themselves with South Coast Wolves thrashing Manly United and Blacktown Spartans demolishing St George.

Round Eight Review

Sydney United 58 2-3 Marconi Stallions, at Sydney United Sports Centre

It was a fantastic NPL debut for Stallions’ Matthew Thompson who proved the difference here for Darren Iocca’s first improving side.

Thompson scored twice as Marconi bounced back from 2-1 down.

It was Thompson who gave the visitors the leading with a thumping header from a great cross by his brother Mitchell.

Another Mitchell, this time Stamatellis of United, levelled the scores before the break before Luka Glavas gave United the lead in the second half with a typically clinical finish.

Marconi showed their character though scoring twice in a few minutes to win the match.

First Milorad Simonovic beat United keeper Diego Barcena before Thompson scored his second; capitalising on a mistake by Barcena to tap in the match-winning goal.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 4-0 APIA-Leichhardt Tigers, at Bonnyrigg Sports Centre

Where will the woe end for APIA-Leichhardt? The Tigers are now the only winless side in the competition after their 4-0 defeat against Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

Two goals in either half condemned APIA to defeat and they were nothing more than a speed bump for Bonnyrigg who are starting to flex their muscle.

Robbie Younis opened the scoring in the 25th minute before Adrian Ucchino doubled their lead within six minutes.

APIA held hope that they could complete a comeback but that hope was extinguished when Aaron Peterson made it 3-0 after the break.

Alexander Canak iced the cake with the fourth, heaping yet more pressure on embattled APIA.

South Coast Wolves 6-1 Manly United, at WIN Stadium

From where did this result come?

South Coast Wolves, without a win this season, smashed a hopelessly out of form Manly United to the tune of six goals to one to register their first victory of 2014.

New coach Nahuel Arrarte will be boosted by the amazing result that saw Samuel Matthews and Ricky Zucco put Wolves 2-0 up just after the break.

Brendan Cholakian’s penalty gave Manly hope but they conceded four in the final 20′ minutes as substitute Jordan Murray helped himself to two goals while Peter Simonovski and Matthew Bailey also found the back of the net.

It would have been a long drive home for the boys from the beaches after that performance.

Blacktown Spartans 6-0 St George, at Blacktown Football Park

They are now eight from eight and the real question is who will be the team to stop them?

Blacktown Spartans are now on 24 points after just two months of the season and they were never in any danger of succumbing to a St George team who have been very reasonable so far this season after their promotion from Mens 2.

It took half an hour for Spartans to breach the St George defence and it was the in-form Greg Kondek who scored.

Corey Biczo and David Gullo scored in the shadows of half time to kill the game as Spartans went into the sheds with a three goal lead.

Kondek’s second made it 4-0 before a late double from Phil Makrys saw Spartans home in style, wrapping up their eighth win on the bounce with a superb six goal performance.

Rockdale City Suns 2-4 Blacktown City, at Ilinden Sports Centre

Rockdale can only describe their afternoon as unlucky as they went down to two late goals against Blacktown City. That, however, isn’t the whole story.

Rockdale had their keeper Tomislav Arcaba sent off just five minutes in after he was sent off in his last appearance as well. Rockdale had already taken the lead through a Sean Symons free kick but this wasn’t what they needed.

David Bradesevic was once more summoned from the bench but he couldn’t stop Kearyn Baccus from scoring from the spot to level the scores.

Ryuji Miyazawa scored in the 15th minute to give Blacktown City a 2-1 lead that they would take into the break.

Rockdale battled hard with ten men and found an equaliser through the excellent Idriss El Hafiane.

Just when it seemed that Branko Culina’s side would hold on for the draw, Blacktown City popped up with two late goals; one from Matthew Lewis in the 88th minute and another from Travis Major in stoppage time to claim a dramatic late win at Ilinden Sports Centre.

Sydney Olympic 2-3 Sutherland Sharks, at Belmore Sports Ground

In a match of twists and turns it took a late goal from substitute Ethan Galbraith to win the game for Sutherland Sharks.

The visiting side took the lead through Pierettis Adamos in the 16th minute but Sharks were pegged back not long after by the in-form Evan Kostopoulos.

The scores were level at the break but the equally in-form Harris Gaitatzis put Olympic ahead in the 65th minute.

True to form, the match wouldn’t stay that way for long and within a matter of minutes Adamos had his second goal, bringing Sutherland level.

The tall frame of Galbraith made his way on as a substitute and it turned out to be a shrewd move by coach Robbie Stanton as Galbraith netted the winner with just three minutes remaining.